Easy vegan sausage stuffed shells, packed with creaminess and flavor, a crowd pleaser for any occasion!
- 1 box of 12 oz jumbo pasta shells
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 package (approx 1 pound) of vegan italian sausage (Suggestion: Beyond Sausage Hot Italian)
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 vegan egg (using egg replacer or my flax eggs recipe here
- 1/2 a bag of frozen spinach, thawed
- 15 oz of vegan ricotta (I recommend Kite Hill Brand, my ricotta recipe, or subbing 8 oz for Honest Stand Garlic Parm Dip (can be found at most Whole Foods)
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (Violife and Follow Your Heart are my favorite brands)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 jar of marinara sauce
- Cook pasta according to instructions, rinsing in cold water when done and lay them out to dry on paper towels.
- Cook the sausage and onion in a skillet until sausage is browned, crumbling the sausage into small pieces. Add garlic at the end. Remove from heat and let the mixture cool.
- In a mixing bowl, add in your vegan egg, ricotta, spinach, mozzarella, salt, pepper, and the cooled sausage mixture. Stir until very well combined.
- In a large casserole dish, spread 1 cup of sauce on the bottom of the dish. One by one, stuff each shell with some of the cheese/sausage mixture and place in casserole dish. Arrange in layers right next to each other.
- Once shells are stuffed, pour sauce that is left over on top of the stuffed shells. Cover dish with foil, and cook for about 25 minutes until the sauce is bubbly. Remove from oven, remove foil, top with some extra mozzarella, and put back in oven uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Serve, and enjoy!!