The absolute best vegan pineapple upside down cake. Simple steps, easy ingredients, amazing cake!
- 1/4 cup melted vegan butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 10-12 canned pineapple slices
- 1 jar of maraschino cherries
- 1 and 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup of pineapple juice reserved from can
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9 inch cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pour melted butter all over the bottom of the cake pan and make sure it is spread around evenly.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar over the melted butter, again, making sure it is spread around evenly.
- Spread a layer of pineapple slices along the cake pan dish- feel free to cut slices as needed to fill gaps. Also you can place along sides of pan.
- Place maraschino cherries in the pineapple rings and anywhere there are gaps.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift flour into the bowl, then add the white sugar, baking soda, and salt. Mix well.
- Add in almond milk, pineapple juice, vanilla extract, oil, and vinegar. Whisk by hand until combined.
- Pour mixture into the cake pan on top of pineapple slices and smooth it with the back of a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Put in oven for a total of 55 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove the cake pan and cover with foil to prevent over browning and then return to the oven.
- To see if cake is done, insert a toothpick in the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean, it is done. Let cool for at least 10 minutes.
- When cooled, place a plate or cake platter on top of your cake pan. Hold firm and flip upside to set cake in the middle of the dish. Leave pan on for a few seconds, and then slowly remove. ENJOY!