Delicious ‘chicken’ nuggets to be enjoyed with your favorite dipping sauces (my personal favorites are BBQ Sauce, Ranch, or Buffalo Sauce). Great as an app, a meal, or a salad topping!
- 1 14 oz can of artichoke hearts- drained
- 1 14 oz can of garbanzo beans - drained
- 1/4 cup diced white onion
- 2-4 garlic cloves, minced (dependent on your taste)
- 1.5 cups of panko breadcrumbs
- 1.5 cups of cornmeal
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp liquid smoke (dependent on taste)
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning (optional)
- 1 tsp onion salt or seasoning
- 1 cup almond milk (or any plant based milk)
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed meal
- 2 tbsp of flour
- 1 tsp paprika
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Olive oil for frying
- In a food processor, add in garlic and onion. Pulse until diced. Add in artichoke hearts, and pulse until chopped. Then add in: 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup cornmeal, red wine vinegar, liquid smoke, poultry seasoning & onion salt, salt and pepper to taste. Pulse in food processor until well combined and well blended.
- Place mixture in a container with a lid, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Sometimes I will do this the day before but try not to wait longer than 24 hours.
- In a separate bowl begin to make your batter. Whisk your milk, ground flaxseed, flour until well combined and let sit for at least 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl or shallow dish, begin to make your coating. Combine 1 cup cornmeal, 1 cup panko breadcrumbs, 1 tsp paprika, salt and pepper to taste.
- When nugget mixture is done resting in the refrigerator, remove and shape into about 20 nuggets. This amount may vary based on your size preference.
- In a large, flat skillet pour your olive oil in. This should be around 1/8 inch deep, or more depending on size of nuggets. Allow to heat over medium heat. While heating, finish preparing nuggets.
- One at a time, place 1 nugget in the batter mixture covering both sides, remove and place into your dish/bowl where your coating mixture is. Flip to make sure all sides are covered.
- Repeat the above until all nuggets are ready to be placed in the oil. When oil is hot, transfer as many nuggets that will fit in your skillet. Heat 1 side for about 4 minutes or until browned, and then flip and repeat.
- Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels and let cool. Once all are cooked, enjoy with your favorite dipping sauce!